Thursday 19 May 2011

A Poem a Week - Halfway Down the Stairs : A.A Milne

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair where I sit: 
There isn't any other stair quite like it. 
I'm not at the bottom, 
I'm not at the top: 
So this is the stair where I always stop.

Halfway up the stairs 
Isn't up, and isn't down. 
It isn't in the nursery, it isn't in the town: 
And all sorts of funny thoughts 
Run round my head: 
"It isn't really anywhere! It's somewhere else instead!"

A A Milne

In honour of writing my last ever philosophy essays I decided to return to one of my favourite pieces of childhood philosophy. This poem by AA Milne has always been around, maybe as a consequence of the fact that have always ended up sitting on stairs reading, because my room used to be at the top of the house and I would get distracted before I got there. I love the simple logic, the trippy nursery-rhyme-type rhythm, and the sense of fun. By next week I will have finished essays for ever and so will be able to get down and start actually exploring the poems, and maybe start posting some books reviews.

1 comment:

  1. I too have always loved this poem. It reminds me of when I was little and would climb a tree in my back yard and no one would know I was there. I did some of my best thinking there and it was just "my" place. Nothing grand or out of the ordinary...actually just ordinary and JUST GRAND!

    ReplyDelete